Imagine co-leading an evolving academic program within a 21st Century climate of innovation and creativity, where students are core members of learning communities; exposed to local and global opportunities for education, service and research.
The University of Minnesota School of Nursing is seeking a visionary architect to serve as Associate Dean for Academic Programs. This individual will provide leadership in continuous co-creation of vision, procuring resources and creating an environment for inspired faculty to build innovative models that stimulate teaching and student learning. In addition, this individual will serve as a thought leader and interprofessional collaborator across the numerous academic practice partnerships, Health Sciences, University, community and nursing profession in transforming higher education.
The School of Nursing at the University of Minnesota was founded in 1909 and is the nation’s first continuously operated university-based school of nursing. We are proud to offer our students opportunities to learn from internationally renowned faculty who emphasize inquiry, critical thinking, and analysis, clinical excellence, and leadership. The School of Nursing offers pre-licensure, graduate and post-graduate certificate programs:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Master of Nursing (MN)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Centers of Excellence within our School of Nursing enhance the research and scholarship of faculty, staff, students, and post-doctoral fellows:
- Center for Adolescent Nursing (www.nursing.umn.edu/CAN)
- Center for Children with Special Health Care Needs (www.nursing.umn.edu/CCSHCN)
- Center for Child and Family Health Promotion Research (www.nursing.umn.edu/CCFHPR)
- Center for Aging Science and Care Innovation (www.nursing.umn.edu/CGN)
- Center for Nursing Informatics (www.nursing.umn.edu/ICNP)
- Center for Artificial Intelligence in Nursing and Health Research
- Katharine J. Densford International Center for Nursing Leadership (www.nursing.umn.edu/Densford)
- Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality and Healing (www.csh.edu)
The Associate Dean for Academic Programs provides creative leadership in the promotion of excellence in all levels of nursing education. The Associate Dean, who reports to the Dean, is accountable for the quality of educational programs, providing inspiration, guidance, and support to faculty as they design and implement curricula that meet the needs of dynamic educational and health care systems, and the University of Minnesota 5 campus system. In this capacity, the Associate Dean for Academic Programs heads the Office of Academic Programs and the Office of Student and Career Advancement Services.
This administrative position is a twelve-month, annually renewable appointment. Qualified candidates are expected to be eligible for a tenured faculty appointment with rank, salary commensurate with experience, and potential endowed chair/professorship appointment.
- Promote the school’s mission as a member of the leadership team
- Design and implement faculty development strategies for teaching, research, practice and public service in collaboration with the Associate Dean for Research, and the Cooperative Unit Chairs
- Establish systems to provide program and curricular information to prospective students; the Health Sciences; the University admissions and registrar's office; and state, regional, and national accrediting bodies
- Oversee the Office of Student and Career Advancement Services including student records and reporting, student admissions and progression, recruitment and outreach activities
- Participate in establishment of direction, policy, and procedures regarding academic programs, student advising, and community partnerships
- Provide leadership to establish policies and programs that demonstrate a commitment to a inclusivity, diversity, inclusivity, equity, and collegial environment
- Provide stewardship for and manage the utilization of Office of Academic Programs personnel, budget, and resources
- Review and evaluate School of Nursing support systems related to academic programs and student services
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of all levels of curricula, promoting innovation in educational programs
- Assure the alignment of all academic programs with the School of Nursing's mission and strategic plan
- Participate as needed in undergraduate, professional, and graduate teaching, research, continuing education, student advising and community activities
- Ensure all courses have faculty, teaching assistants, teaching specialists, etc. assigned
- Establish and maintain an interdisciplinary focus across curricula and programs
- Serve as academic liaison between the School of Nursing, the Health Sciences, and academic programming units across the University
- Enhance the visibility and promote the School of Nursing at state, regional, national, and international professional meetings, including legislative venues as appropriate
- PhD in nursing or related discipline
- Eligibility for tenured faculty appointment
- Leadership experience at multiple levels of curricular development, implementation, and evaluation
- Leadership in professional organizations
- Eligibility for RN licensure in Minnesota
- Experience in academic administration
- Demonstrated ability to motivate faculty and lead teams in a dynamic environment
- Evidence of interprofessional collaboration
- Track record of extramural funding
- Scholarship in various aspects of nursing education, such as innovative and interprofessional teaching methodologies
About the Department
Founded in 1909 and recognized as the first nursing program established within a university, the University of Minnesota School of Nursing continues to lead the profession into the future. With a mission to generate knowledge and educate leaders to shape the future of nursing and advance health care to improve the health and wellbeing of all, the school and its research are addressing health issues and improving health. With nearly $6 million in National Institutes of Health awards to the School of Nursing and the Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality and Healing in 2019, the University of Minnesota rose to 10th in the latest ranking of NIH funding to schools of nursing.
The school is ranked among the top programs in nurse midwifery and nursing informatics, and it is internationally renowned for its efforts to improve health and health care through the use of big data. The School was one of nine nursing schools nationally awarded the Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity Magazine in 2020.
The University of Minnesota has one of the largest, more comprehensive academic health centers in the nation. While robust scholarly inquiry is central to the School of Nursing’s mission, it is enhanced by interprofessional collaboration with schools and colleges within the University and its health sciences schools comprised of pharmacy, medicine, public health, dentistry and veterinary medicine.
Working at the University
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents Scholarship
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
- Go to: https://humanresources.umn.edu/content/find-job
- Click on either "external applicants" or "university employees", depending on your status.
- Follow the directions to register as an applicant, and apply/upload your materials to job posting #352818
- In the "posted within" drop-down box select "within last year" to find the posting.
If you are a current employee of our organization please use the following link instead: