The Health Innovation and Leadership program replaced the nursing administration area of study that had been a part of the master’s curriculum for half a century. Beginning in 1951, the Master's of Nursing Administration (MNA) was offered through the College of Medical Sciences, the academic home of the School of Nursing until 1970. Start-up funds for this degree were provided by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. In 1956 the school also secured Federal Nurse Traineeships for the program. The MNA degree was phased out by 1965 as the master’s programs moved to the Graduate School (Glass, 2009).