Doctor of Nursing Practice admitted and current students may request to satisfy a required course based upon previous graduate level coursework and/or professional experience.
The following equivalency evaluation criteria must be met:
- Course(s) must be at the graduate level as defined by the institution offering the course
- Objectives of the completed course must be equivalent to the DNP required course
- Course(s) must have been completed within the 5 calendar years prior to the first term of enrollment in the DNP program
- Grades earned in the completed course must abide by Doctor of Nursing Practice Grading Standards.
- Credits related to the DNP Project (NURS 7100, NURS 7102, and NURS 7110) may not be satisfied by courses completed prior to admission to the program.
- For post-baccalaureate DNP students, no more than 40% of the total required credits for the degree may be satisfied through courses taken at an institution other than the University of Minnesota.
- For post-masters DNP students, no more than 10 credits of required DNP courses may be satisfied through courses taken prior to the first term of enrollment in the DNP program.
Prior to submitting your request, thoroughly review the NURS Course Descriptions and Objectives (doc) for the required DNP course to self-evaluate alignment with your prior coursework and/or professional competencies. If you wish to petition a course not listed in the guide below please email Alicia George, Assistant Director of OSCAS/Doctoral Programs Coordinator at email@example.com.
Graduates of the University of Minnesota Master of Nursing program are not required to submit equivalency evaluations for coursework completed within the program. Please email Alicia George at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm how your coursework will align with Doctor of Nursing Practice requirements.
Course Equivalency Evaluation requests based upon prior coursework must include:
- Unofficial transcript(s) from previously completed coursework.
- Course syllabi from the previously completed course.
Course Equivalency Evaluation requests based solely or partially upon professional experience must include:
- Supporting material that demonstrates competency that aligns with the objectives of the course.
Submit your request and supporting documents for review via the online DNP Course Equivalency Evaluation form. Please submit one form for each course you are requesting. You will receive an email confirmation upon submission of the Course Evaluation form and will be notified via email once the review is complete and a decision is made. Please allow up to 4 weeks for receipt of a decision regarding your petition.