To apply to the PhD in Nursing program, you will complete the Graduate School application through the University of Minnesota Graduate School Admissions Office.
Step 1: Create your application
Visit the Graduate Application page and create an account.
For new users
Click on the "Start New Application" button. Follow the prompts to create a new application to the Nursing PHD program for Fall 2022.
For returning users
If you are a returning user, please login with your existing account.
Step 2: Fill out the application
The following sections are required in the Graduate School application:
- Biographical Information
- Personal Background
- Academic History
- Test Scores
- Materials (Personal Statement)
- Recommendations (Two Required)
Please follow the Graduate School's Application Instructions as you complete your application. Once you have completed all sections of the application, you are ready to pay the Graduate School application fee and submit your application.
Personal Statement Prompt
Please respond to the prompts described below. Prepare your responses carefully. This is your opportunity to tell the admissions committee about yourself in ways that might not be evident from your academic record. There is no length requirement for each response, but please do not let the essay exceed four pages in total. The essay format should be double spaced with a 12-point font.
Commitment & Preparation
- What experiences have led to your commitment to a research focused PhD program in nursing?
- What strengths would you bring to impact your success in the nursing PhD program?
- How will obtaining a PhD degree in nursing promote achievement of your short and long-term goals?
Anticipated Area of Research:
- What area of nursing research are you most interested in pursuing in a PhD program?
- Why is your research interest important to the discipline of nursing?
- How does the research of the School of Nursing faculty member(s) with whom you connected relate to your research interest and plans?