What Makes Our Program Distinct?
The Family Nurse Practitioner specialty of the DNP is unique in two respects:
- Faculty members are committed educators as well as practitioners and each continues to practice professionally to remain grounded in clinical practice.
- Clinical practicum experiences will be arranged to meet the individual needs of students while also meeting accreditation and certification requirements.
Family nurse practitioner students learn to:
- obtain comprehensive health histories
- conduct physical examinations
- diagnose and treat common acute and chronic problems
- interpret laboratory results and diagnostic procedures
- prescribe and manage medications and other therapies
- provide supportive counseling and patient and family education and work collaboratively with other health professionals to optimally manage patient care within a family context.
Our graduates are prepared to:
- Critically analyze data and evidence to improve advanced practice nursing practice
- Provide leadership to foster collaboration with multiple stakeholders to improve health care
- Recognize and demonstrate an understanding of the interdependence of policy and practice
- Provide the full spectrum of health services to include health promotion, disease prevention, health protection, anticipatory guidance, counseling, disease management, palliative and end-of-life care to patients and their families across the lifespan
- Provide patient-centered care recognizing cultural diversity and the patient or designee as a full partner in decision-making
- Integrate appropriate technology into practice to promote safe, high quality and cost-effective care
Length and Commitment
- 3-year, Full-time Program
- On Campus - 4-day session (Tuesday–Friday) each semester that includes: core courses, enhancement programming, specialty courses, advisor meetings; beginning second year of program: 1–2 days every other week for coursework throughout the semester.
- Clinical Sites - Complete approximately 1,000 hours at clinical sites arranged by the school